When I was trying to create a logo for my blog, I stumbled across this cool Photoshop tutorial. It produced the effect I was looking for, but being the coding geek that I am, I wasn’t satisfied. I wanted to try out different colors, and possibly create a colorized header for each blog post. I needed automation!
I’m pretty happy with my shop screens now, so I thought I’d share. The only thing I don’t really like is the “coins” icon in the top-left. I’ll be changing that slightly in the future.
Ryamar is all about crafting. You won’t receive equipment drops like in most games these days. Instead you’ll receive various crafting materials, either by defeating enemies or harvesting raw materials. As such, I’ve dreamed up a pretty extensive crafting system, involving the concept of elemental infusion.
None of this is really finalized yet, and I’m still working out all of the kinks, but I’ve completed some rough draft interface screens. I’m currently planning on breaking the game up into chapters, so that I can release it in small portions and not all at once. Because of all the possibilities and potential complexity revolving around the crafting system, elemental infusion may or may not be included in the first chapter.
Although they’re just mockups, I’d like to show off some of my rough drafts for a UI. I’ve decided to wait for Unity 4.6 to start dabbling in UI work, as the new UI system will be available. I can’t wait!
For Chuseok this year (the Korean autumn harvest festival), Kate and I went on a short hike up Mt. Umyeon. It’s located near Nambu Bus Terminal, which is only one subway stop from my house. It doesn’t get much more convenient than that!
It was a very leisurely hike, and only took about an hour to get to the top. Despite the short climb, the view at the top was pretty spectacular. And the best part was, it wasn’t crowded! It was a very peaceful climb, and we only saw a few people, and one terribly behaved little dog on the trail. Maybe it was so empty because of the Chuseok holiday, but I’ll take it. Overall, it was a great way to spend a relaxing day. There was even an old man selling honeydew melon flavored ice cream at the top!
A few weeks ago, I was doing a little digital housekeeping, and I stumbled across some of my old screenshots and mockups from the original incarnation of Ryamar. I suppose it must have been about four years ago that I first started dreaming up gameplay ideas and tinkering with implementation concepts.
This August, my dad had a great opportunity to come visit me in Korea. It wasn’t a real vacation – he was actually on a overseas training exercise for the military. He was stationed in Daegu, which is about 3 hours south of Seoul, so I had to travel a bit to get to him. Sadly, because of his work schedule and military curfew, we were only able to see each other between 4 and 8pm. Conditions weren’t ideal, but hey, I’ll take what I can get!
In Part 1 of this series, I gave a brief overview of the various font formats, kerning data, and how they are handled in XNA. In Part 2, I’d like to talk about my solution, and what was required to make it work.
To reiterate from my previous post, the basic goal of my font kerning project was to extract horizontal kerning data from font files of various formats, and save it in an organized, easily usable format.
A while back I did a write-up on my FontBuilder project, which made mention of a tool I created for extracting font kerning data from font files. Although I’ve since moved from XNA to Unity, and this tool is no longer required, I still wanted to record all of my notes, and document what I’ve created, just in case it ever has some use in the future.
Although I’m no longer using XNA, I dabbled in it for quite some time, and learned a great deal. For me, one of the trickier parts was implementing custom fonts. Although I’ve since moved on to developing in Unity, I wanted to make a quick write-up for my old FontBuilder project. It was a pretty cool tool at the time, and it taught me a lot about scripting for Photoshop.